- Phone: (253) 582-1000
- Mailing Address: 5400 112th St. SW, Lakewood WA 98499
First Baptist Church of Lakewood was originally organized under the name "First Baptist Church of Lake City" on July 25, 1952. C. H. Green, area missionary for the Baptist General Convention of Oregon-Washington, led in the establishment of the church. There were fifteen charter members. The Rev. Austin Lovin was sent by the convention to act as supply pastor and was later called and became the first pastor of the church on September 7, 1952.
Worship services were conducted for several months in a rented store building on Veterans Drive. After much prayer, a lot was purchased and ground broken in February 1953. The men of the church constructed a 30' x 60' building in just two months! It was soon evident that this would not be adequate, so a second unit was completed in August 1954. In June 1955, a parsonage was purchased and additional worship space added.
In 1962, the church found a new location better suited for growth and ministry in the community near Clover Park High School. At that time, the church's name was changed to "First Baptist Church of Lakewood." In the fall of 1964, dual morning worship services were instituted. The summer of 1966 saw the church enter into a capital funds drive to provide a fellowship hall and additional space for Bible study groups. Construction began in August 1967, and the space was occupied on January 7, 1968.
The First Baptist Church of Lakewood has had a vital part in the development of other churches in the area. Trinity Baptist Church (Lakewood) and South Hill Baptist Church (Puyallup) are both results of direct mission efforts by the Lakewood congregation. Trinity Baptist Church was started in January 1967 in a Grange Hall.
In 1975, a new area mission ministry was opened to First Baptist Church through a language work. In cooperation with the Home Mission Board, First Baptist Church of Lakewood's ministries to the Korean and Japanese populations experienced phenomenal growth beginning in 1977. Out of this effort, the Korean language ministry that began in 1977 completed their own church building and became "Tacoma First Baptist Church" in 1987.
In 1985, the church voted to purchase 15 acres of land from the Clover Park School District adjacent to the church with the dream of one day building a larger facility.
In 1999, the church voted to sell 5 acres of the land purchased in 1985 for the development of a Senior Adult Retirement Facility. Under the leadership of the church, 168 senior apartment unites were erected and from that sale, funds were used to prepare the property for future construction.
During this same time (July 1999), First Baptist Church of Lakewood sponsored a new church plant in Puyallup called "High Pointe Community Church." This new church became one of the fastest growing churches in the Northwest.
In July 2002, the church celebrated its 50th Anniversary with a ground-breaking ceremony on the adjacent 10 acres of land. Due to sale complications of the existing property to Grace Slavic Baptist Church, actual construction didn't start until June 2004.
First Baptist Church moved into its present building on February 20, 2005. And in January 2011, the church purchased the former Lakewood Police Station property next door to the church. After making renovations to the inside of the building, the "Youth and Community Center" is now usable for youth activities and community events.
The real story of First Baptist Church of Lakewood is not in buildings, preachers, figures, or programs. Rather, the real story of First Baptist Church of Lakewood is its people. From many races, five continents, and all 50 states, its membership has formed into a fellowship of believers. Through the assistance of the military, its members travel to all parts of the world! If any single church ever had the opportunity to literally carry out the great commission of the Lord Jesus Christ, it is First Baptist Church of Lakewood. God has given us the vision of influencing our community and our world for Christ.